With child abduction being such a prevalent issue in our society today. As parents it is our responsibility to keep our children safe. Don’t fall for that saying my mom is too over protected.
- “Custodial rights” Make sure custody documents are in order.
- Have ID-like photos taken of your kids have them fingerprinted. (this is a key issue).
- Many local police departments sponsor fingerprinting programs. Check with your child’s school prior to enrollment.It is important to keep your kids’ medical and dental records up to date.
- Be aware of your kids’ Internet activities and remind them never to give out personal information. Parents check and see what your child is doing on the internet never take your child’s word for everything they say. “Children will be Children”
Set boundaries about the places your kids go. Supervise them if necessary in places like malls, movie theaters, parks, public bathrooms whether they want you to or not. You are the parent and you are looking out for their safety. Never leave kids alone in a car or stroller, even for a minute. You never know who is watching and waiting to take your child.
Choose caregivers babysitters, childcare providers, and nannies — carefully and check their references. If you’ve arranged for someone to pick up your kids from school or day care, discuss the arrangements beforehand with your kids and with the school or childcare center. To be on the safe side send a note with the parents signaure. Just a precaution have parents signature on file
Avoid dressing your kids in clothing with their names on it — children tend to trust adults who know their names.
- Last but not least be careful of who you trust with your child. My mother made that mistake she trusted her friend with our sister.